Introduction to Japanese Culture
Think you know Japan? Otaku or not—now you can understand Japan on a whole new level. This course will expand your knowledge of the country’s unique lifestyle customs and the ancient dynasties that influenced them. Find out how Japanese culture shock manifests, and get tips on the best ways to cope. You’ll finish this course with a fresh appreciation for the vibrant blend of old and new that makes up modern Japanese culture. Use it to go out in the world, connect with others, and create your own incredible intercultural experiences.
Is this course for me?
This course will help you to embrace Japanese culture, whatever your motivation may be. You’ll learn lessons that benefit you in personal, professional, academic, and civic contexts.
If you identify with any of the statements below, then this course is the perfect match.
- I intend to move to Japan to live, work, or volunteer
- I plan to study in Japan as an exchange student
- I’m a fan of J-pop, anime, cosplay, Japanese video games, or other forms of Japanese pop culture
- Someone I know is from Japan and I’d like to improve our relations
- I’m visiting Japan for a long or short term trip
- I’m curious how cultural awareness can help me to understand myself and my own culture, as well as other people and their cultures
- I want to be prepared for how gender, sexual orientation, race, or ethnicity are handled in Japan
Discover Japanese Culture
The intricacies of Japanese culture are revealed in our in-depth course which covers core ideas like pragmatism, Menboku and Kenminsei.ENROLL
Discover Japanese culture to unlock more meaningful experiences abroad
- Connect with the locals: have the confidence to socialize outside of your circle and make life-long friendships
- Avoid embarrassing faux pas: you’ll make better first impressions when you interact with respect and maturity
- Handle culture shock like a pro: knowing what to expect and how to handle it reduces anxiety
- See the 'real' Japan: use your insider knowledge to steer clear of tourist traps and seek the most authentic experiences
- Make the most of every moment: return home from Japan without any regrets or missed opportunities
This course contains everything you need to truly immerse yourself in the fascinating culture of Japan.
- Six jam-packed modules
- A friendly course guide to lead the way
- Interviews with over 15 locals & expats
- Inspiring images and videos
- Handy course summaries
- Fun quizzes per module
- Official completion certificate
Meet Erika, your Japanese course guide
Erika Tone was born in Tokyo and moved to Northern California when she was a child. Although she’s spent most of her life in the US, her family still lives in Japan and she maintains a strong connection to her roots.
“I’ve come to realize what a privilege it is to be exposed to Japanese culture, which is so rich in history and tradition. Guiding you through this course is my way to pay homage to Japan”
- Erika Tone, Japan Course Guide
Behind the scenes
CulturaGo’s Introduction to Japanese Culture is the combined effort of many passionate, dedicated, and talented individuals.
Let’s begin with the course creators: George Pytcher and Marcello Francioni (anthropologist of Japan with a PhD from SOAS University). They’ve poured a wealth of experience into this course and imparted all the best tips for living in Japan.
Cultural specialists and senior lecturers at prestigious universities have also lent their expertise to Introduction to Japanese Culture. Their careful auditing of the course material has kept us true to our core values of accountability and accuracy.
But that’s not all.
Introduction to Japanese Culture draws on the wisdom and first-hand accounts of over twenty-four contributors. This includes teachers, researchers, entrepreneurs, and engineers from various areas of Japan, as well as expats from countries like the US, UK, and South Africa.
We’ve put a lot of work into making this course the best it can be!
Universities and program providers we work with
We work with respected educational and travel institutions globally. Below are just a few of the institutions that have become a part of our constantly growing network and whose students and travelers have all benefited from what our courses have to offer. For more information on bringing cultural education to your students please visit our partner page. Alternatively, find out how you can work with us and deliver our courses to your audience. Get involved, let’s collaborate!
Try the course in demo mode
Want to know a bit more before you sign up? Now you can sample our Introduction to Japanese Culture course in a demo version for a sneak-peek at the exclusive course material in Module 1: Japan at a Glance.
Enjoy better travel with CulturaGo
Cultural-awareness will transform your experience abroad.
When you enroll on a CulturaGo course, you get unlimited access to loads of exclusive content. Simply log in and learn with our user-friendly online platform, and mark the lessons, modules, and knowledge assessments completed as you go. Tap into CulturaGo anytime, and take advantage of the most complete and unified resource on country-specific culture.
Getting a headstart to a more immersive, rewarding travel experience couldn’t be easier!