Introduction to Korean Culture
Dive into the interesting and intense world of South Korea! Informed by hundreds of years of Confucian tradition and a turbulent twentieth century, this resilient and unique contemporary culture is today renowned for global technology behemoths and the phenomenon that is BTS. With its barbecue and kimchi, Korea is a food lover’s paradise, as long as you can handle your soju! There’s plenty to explore, from the mountainous wilderness of Seoraksan National Park to the vibrant urban sprawl of downtown Seoul.
Our course prepares you for total Korean cultural immersion, so you can get the most out of your experience in this impressive and intriguing country.
Is this course for me?
This course will help you to embrace Korean culture, whatever your motivation may be. You’ll learn lessons that benefit you in personal, professional, academic, and civic contexts.
If you identify with any of the statements below, then this course is the perfect match.
- I intend to move to South Korea to live, work, or volunteer
- I plan to study in South Korea as an exchange student
- I’m a fan of K-pop, K-drama, manhwa, Korean movies, or other forms of Hallyu (Korean pop culture)
- Someone I know is from Korea and I’d like to improve our relations
- I’m visiting South Korea for a long or short term trip
- I’m curious how cultural awareness can help me to understand myself and my own culture, as well as other people and their cultures
Discover Korean Culture
Enter the fascinating realm of Korean culture and discover ancient concepts like chaemyoun and hahn that influence societal expectations.ENROLL
Discover Korean culture and open the door to a more profound travel experience
- Connect with the locals: have the confidence to socialize outside of your circle and make life-long friendships
- Avoid embarrassing faux pas: you’ll make better first impressions when you interact with respect and maturity
- Handle culture shock like a pro: knowing what to expect and how to handle it reduces anxiety
- See the ‘real’ South Korea: use your insider knowledge to steer clear of tourist traps and seek the most authentic experiences
- Make the most of every moment: return home from South Korea without any regrets or missed opportunities
This course contains everything you need to truly immerse yourself in the fascinating culture of Korea.
- Five jam-packed modules
- A friendly course guide to lead the way
- Interviews with 14 locals & expats
- Inspiring images and videos
- Handy course summaries
- Fun quizzes per module
- Official completion certificate
Meet Destiny Kim, your Korean course guide
Destiny Kim was born in LA, California, and experienced a mix of American and Korean culture as she grew up. In rediscovering her heritage she decided to plant roots in South Korea, where she now enjoys exploring the people and the food they want to share.
“The communities I've been a part of have been incredibly ethnically diverse, and the cultural differences would always come out at the dinner table, first.”
- Destiny Kim, Korea Course Guide
Behind the scenes
CulturaGo’s Introduction to Korean Culture is the combined effort of many passionate, dedicated, and talented individuals.
You’ve already met your course guide, Destiny Kim. Destiny has contributed years of cultural experience and substantially created this course.
All course material has been carefully audited for quality, accuracy, and accountability, by a top Korea Studies subject specialist and post doctoral researcher at the prestigious University of Oxford, UK.
But that’s not all. Introduction to Korean Culture draws on the wisdom and first-hand accounts of over fourteen contributors. They include teachers, researchers, professors, students, and consultants from various areas of Korea, as well as expats from countries like the US, UK, and South Africa.
All of this hard work as resulted in a course that’s the first of its kind: a complete cultural guide, purpose-designed to give you the most meaningful experience of South Korea.
Universities and program providers we work with
We work with respected educational and travel institutions globally. Below are just a few of the institutions that have become a part of our constantly growing network and whose students and travelers have all benefited from what our courses have to offer. For more information on bringing cultural education to your students please visit our partner page. Alternatively, find out how you can work with us and deliver our courses to your audience. Get involved, let’s collaborate!
Try the course in demo mode
Want to know a bit more before you sign up? Now you can sample our Introduction to Korean Culture course in a demo version for a sneak-peek at the exclusive course material in Module 1: South Korea at a Glance.
Enjoy better travel with CulturaGo
Cultural-awareness will transform your experience abroad.
When you enroll on a CulturaGo course, you get unlimited access to loads of exclusive content. Simply log in and learn with our user-friendly online platform, and mark the lessons, modules, and knowledge assessments completed as you go. Tap into CulturaGo anytime, and take advantage of the most complete and unified resource on country-specific culture.
Getting a headstart to a more immersive, rewarding travel experience couldn’t be easier!